The Global Teacher Award course builds teacher confidence and competence to bring global learning into their teaching. Teachers and HLTAs /TAs gain recognition for their global learning classroom practice.
- Key Global Concepts – exploring the fundamentals of global learning
- Perspectives – questioning pupil’s and teachers assumptions
- Approaches to Learning – developing critical thinking skills
- Applying learning – in the classroom, the curriculum and beyond
- Measuring change – tools for evaluating impact & monitoring progression
Created and owned by the Consortium of Development Education Centres (CODEC), the original GTA trainers were accredited by Liverpool Hope University. For over 10 years, this course has been delivered to teachers in the UK and to project partners in Europe. Endorsed by Oxfam, from 2013-2018 the GTA course was included as a CPD offer in the Global Learning Programme (GLP).
For 2019 -2021 the Global Teachers Award is approved by the British Council for delivery within Connecting Classrooms through Global Learning* (CCGL) continuing professional development offer. This means that there is funding available for educators in state-funded nurseries, schools and FE colleges to complete the course and gain recognition for their classroom practice. The Global Teacher’s Award (GTA) supports teachers in developing the skills, confidence and practical approaches to increase global learning within the curriculum, and to promote active global citizenship.
Live, online course dates from The GLADE Centre
Weds 14th July and Sat 17th July 2021; starting at 9.00 ending by 12.00 for the Global Teachers Award-1 with The GLADE Centre
The Global Teachers Award-1 (at intermediate level) is available free during the summer term, to teachers in state-funded nursery, primary, special and secondary schools in England through CoDEC, funded by the British Council within Connecting Classrooms through Global Learning. Online Booking is essential at bit.ly/GTA1Summer2021
Places are limited and by making a booking, you commit to attending both sessions.
Cancellation policy is in place.
The GTA-1 live, online course for the Global Teacher Award is available offered by CODEC’s most experienced trainers across the country, free to teachers in state-funded school. Teachers at Independent Schools and trainees, please email the Trainer, Lynn. Dates available for England can be found online at; https://www.codec.org.uk/courses/scheduled-courses/
Register your interest in the Global Teachers Award-2 by emailing the trainer Lynn. Dates confirmed for 2021 for invited teachers with GTA-1 recognition to take part in GTA-2 Gain support to inspire and influence colleagues. Gain recognition for leading global learning in your school and locality.
*”This project is part-funded with UK aid from the British people. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) pursues our national interests and projects the UK as a force for good in the world. We promote the interests of British citizens, safeguard the UK’s security, defend our values, reduce poverty and tackle global challenges with our international partners.”
Global Teacher Award Level 1 Learning Outcomes
- have increased their ability to understand and critique the knowledge base and key concepts associated with education for a just and sustainable world [global learning]
- be able to identify a range of different perspectives and question the assumptions behind them
- have enhanced their understanding of the approaches to learning which promote critical literacy
- have developed practical ideas for incorporating new insights gained into their personal lives and work-related roles
- be able to justify incorporating global learning in the curriculum and include activities to measure changes in attitudes of their pupils in relation to certain global issues
Feedback from across the country:-
“Helped me to think critically, ask more questions, be open-minded”
“Absolutely brilliant, loads of ideas and activities…. I was engaged as a grown-up but also used the same activities in the classroom”
“Useful for self-reflection, I rarely get a chance to do this as a teacher”
“Would love if this had been a core module during my PDE. One of the most enjoyable and inspiring things I have done this year”
You can find out more about the Global Teacher Award at https://www.codec.org.uk/courses/global-teachers-award/